Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Noodles

After watching Anne Burrell on the Food Network make simple work of ravioli I attemped to make homemade noodles since they taste so much better.  My mother in law gave us a pasta roller quite awhile ago so I figured that it was time to use it. 

Here is the recipe that I followed
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
3 tbsp cold water
1 tsp salt 2 cups flouer

For some reason I had to add more than 3 tbsp of water to get the dough to form.  Living at a high altitude tends to change recipes with flour but in the end I added almost a third of a cup of water.  So basically if you need to add more water than do it.

Making noodles

The rolling machine wasn't too hard to figure out but I was a little scared when I realized the directions were in Italian.  Basically there are two slots to roll your dough through.  The first thins out the dough and has 6 different thickness settings.  The second slot you put the dough through and it cuts it into noodles for you.  I also clamped it down to the end of my counter.

I cut my dough into 8 pieces after letting it rest for 30 minutes.  I did this so it would be easier to handle when rolling it out.  Start with the first slot and set the thickness to 1 and roll your dough through 2 to 3 times.  Then change the thickness to two and roll it again 2 to 3 times.   The directions I followed said to continue this till you ended up on the thinnest setting which is 6 however I felt the noodles were hard to handle and too thin past 4 so I stopped there.

pasta roller 

Making Noodles
cutting the dough into manageable sections, rolling it out too thin and starting over, cutting it to desired length before cutting it into actual noodles

Noodles!

And like a bad blogger I failed to take picture of the finished product but you can kind of see the noodles in the bottom left corner.  After I rolled them through the noodle cutting side I laid them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and let them rest again for 30 minutes.  To cook them all you do is boil for 3 minutes. Although labor intensive they were sooo worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment