Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Turkey Day

Today we are venturing over to Bradley's parent's house where his brother and my parents will join us.  I love having both of our parents living so close to us. My parents literally live three houses down and I love that I can just pop over there if I need to. Once Thanksgiving is here it isn't uncommon to see me dragging out the Christmas tree and it is usually right after all the food has been put away and the dishes are cleaned up.  This was my grandmother's tradition and in retrospect I think it was really just a way to put all her grandchildren to work.  For some reason I am more excited for this christmas than I have in the past. I have been thinking about decorating and and christmas lists a lot more than normal.  I think it might have something to do with having our own home this year but I am not sure.  This morning I ran outside to get my newspaper to check out the black friday deals (I am a sucker for sales) and as I have been combing the inserts for a stove to replace ours it has me thinking about my christmas list for all the wonderful people in our life.  My mom asked me yesterday what I wanted for Christmas and I drew a blank.  I just shrugged my shoulders and gave her an indifferent look.  I mean my bathrooms could use new toilets or I still need some shelves for my upstairs closet.  But really? Who is going to ask for toilets and shelves for a present? In the past I have made gifts for my close friends and family but I am afraid that time is not on my side this year.  I have been seriously considering making small donations to charities in the names of family members and friends this year and maybe making small ornaments or cookies for people.  Because really? Who needs more stuff? Stuff is great and all but I don't find it fulfilling when I buy people small meaningless gifts which I am unsure if they are even going to like.  My friends, family, along with myself are all very lucky to have what we need and then some. I think it would be more rewarding this year for all of us to help other people out.  

Eat For Equity I love this idea and I love that it was started by someone in their house just trying to raise a little money to help out.












The Girl Effect Obviously education is something I strongly believe in.  I am thankful that I had the opportunity to get a good education but I forget a lot of that this isn't an option for a lot of children and especially girls in under developed countries.



Feeding America Just a few days ago I was listening to an NPR report of how hard up food banks are right now. What really got me was how the food banks couldn't even afford damaged turkeys (ones missing a body part or two) for their thanksgiving dinner.  I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to be in charge of a big thanksgiving dinner for a food bank and not being able to pull it off.





No comments:

Post a Comment