Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Salsa

Are your tomatoes coming in yet?  Mine are starting to so that means one thing and one thing only.  Commence the salsa making!  I am pretty sure I have a salsa fetish. I could put it on just about anything and be happy (my favorite it eggs).  If you aren't growing tomatoes or they haven't started rippening yet check your local farmer's market or grocery store.  Yesterday I noticed how cheap they are!  Tonight we are having a belated birthday party for Bradley so I made a giant jar of salsa.  I have tried a lot of salsa recipes but this is hands down my favorite.  Sadly you need a food processor if you want a "salsa" consistency.  If you don't have one just finely chop and combine for a more chunky pico de gallo consistency.

Summer Salsa

6 medium to large fresh tomatoes (or two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes)
4 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno
1/2 white onion
1 medium carrot
2/3 c. cilantro or 1/3 c. parsley if you dislike cilantro
3 green onions
2 tbs. lime juice
2 tbs. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
ground pepper to tast

Place 3 tomatoes (or 1 can of the diced tomatoes), garlic, jalapeno, and white onion in a food processor and puree.  Yes, puree.  I thought it was weird at first too but this gives it a good base of flavor and the salsa consistency.

Peel carrot into long strips with your peeler and chop shavings.   Rough chop the cilantro (or parsley) and the green onions.  Add carrot, cilantro (or parsely), the remaining tomatoes, green onions, lime juice, vinegar, and salt and pepper into the puree.  Pulse in the food processor untill you get the consistency that you like.  Becareful though.  If you pulse to much it will just be the puree consistency.

1 comment: