Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Book List

I love love love reading and sharing books with friends.  One of the nice things about working at a high school is the library.  I can check out as many books as I want for however long I want.  Of course I try to get them back as soon as possible but it is just so handy to have a library at my work.  
I have been asked in the past what I am reading and what I think of certain books so I thought there is no better idea than to share current and past reads here. I will try not to spoil anything but if I do I will give you a fair warning.   This list will be ongoing so check back for more updates.






















The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson











Little Bee by Chris Cleave
I'm going to go ahead and put a warning in front of this review.  I didn't like it.  And I just didn't kind of not like it but I really didn't like, however I won't ruin the book for you.  I didn't realize what my problem with it was till I shoved the book in my mom's hands and asked her to read it too.  After she read it not only did she confirm that it is awkwardly written and overly descriptive but it is a story about two females going through extreme and life altering circumstances written in a man's perspective.  Sorry guys.  Nothing against you and nothing against trying to write in a female's voice but it was just so far off the mark and the characters make decisions that just seem odd.  However I do encourage you to read it if you are interested.  I have a feeling it is one of those books you love or hate and if you look up reviews that is generally what you will find.  Hell, Oprah even plugged this book.



American Gods by Neil Gaiman
This book was great.  I had read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and I really loved Coraline so it was hard to go wrong with this book.  It centers around the character shadow and various characters he runs into that are God's from various cultures and stories brought by the people who immigrated here.  It was hard for me not to be sucked into this book.  Neil Gaiman has an amazing way of making the creepy and unbelievable feel as if it is truth. 


The Giver by Lois Lowry

I really liked this book.  It was a short read but it immediately grabbed my attention.   It follows a 12 year old boy, Jonas, who lived in a utopian society and his discovery of how dysfunctional the society really is.  I am still not sure how I feel about the ending.  It was a little abrupt for me but I have still been thinking about it for the past week so I guess that means it was good or at least got me to think.   

No comments:

Post a Comment