Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Health and stuff

























I know. Gross right?
I found out yesterday that my poor right knee isn't healing correctly after my car accident and needs another arthroscope surgery.  My Euflexxa shots into the knee didn't work as well as they wanted it too so this is my next option.  They are thinking that there are some rough areas of bone and cartilage that need to be shaved down again.  This will be knee surgery number 4.  Its crazy.  The knee doctor I go to is also retiring at the end of this month so we had to schedule the surgery for next week.  Its so fast I am not really sure how I feel about it.  If it is necessary then it is necessary.  It is just kind of throwing a wrench into a lot of things going on right now.  I feel bad for my students this semester.  They have had to put up with me being out a lot from all this.  Now I am going to be gone for 3 more days. At least I have my student teacher.
I started a second job last weekend working at a greenhouse on the weekends so today I am going to have to go out there and tell them that I can't work anymore or I am going to be out for till the middle of April.
Sadly this is somewhat the story of my life.  I have always had some sort of health ailment going on since I was a little kid.  It usually revolves around my stomach, knee, depression issues (that is a post on to it's own) or some sort of severe cold/flu.  I remember when I was in 4th grade and spent a month on the couch during Christmas with severe stomach cramps.  It was so bad I couldn't really move.  That was awful.  I remember missing two field trips and the class holiday party.  I was so bummed.  I missed a lot of school when I was a kid.  Its kind of crazy to think about it now.  No wonder my parents only had one child. I was enough.

At work a couple of weeks ago they offered us complete blood work up.  I almost bailed on doing it but the teacher I share an office with talked me back into it.  I initially wanted it to check my cholesterol levels since that is an issue on both sides of my family.  My cholesterol was awesome but I noticed that my red blood count was low.  Not death low but right on the edge of where I should be.  If I think about it anemia would fit a lot of the general symptoms that I experience on a daily basis.  I am always cold, low blood pressure, low body temperature, fatigue and if you know me in person you know how pale I am.  I am just not that super crazy skinny I usually associate with anemia since the two people I have ever known with anemia are really tiny people.  I generally don't eat red meat so I purchased some iron supplements. I have been taking them for a couple of days now and I have been feeling somewhat better but I am also not working this week so it could just be from the extra rest.

Now that I am venturing into my late 20s I have been really focusing on my health and taking care of myself.  I figure if I don't reck my body now then maybe it will hold up a little bit longer later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment