Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Invisible Man

Liu Bolin

I have been showing this Chinese artist to my students in most of my art classes not really knowing what their reactions would be. Sometimes when I show art that doesn't fit into the conventional idea of painting or sculpture the kids are critical. What has been fascinating to me is how the kids are reacting to him. They love him and they love the idea of him blending in but trying to stand out at the same time. Oh the plight of a high school student. It all makes perfect sense really. They want to be a part of something but they want to be different too. Bolin makes art in protest to the government shutting down his studio. What I find fascinating is the idea of Chinese people being one cohesive whole but in contrast of an individual that doesn't want to be. Isn't that what we all really want? To belong to something but still be ourselves? Interesting.





























No comments:

Post a Comment